- United States Congress representing Michigan for 15 years
- Served on the International Relations Middle East Subcommittee
- Ranking Member of the Africa Subcommittee. Primary sponsor of the African Famine Relief Act
- Appointed by President Reagan as a US Ambassador (Alt. Delegate) to the United Nations, served as a member of the Middle East and Africa Strategy Group.
- Travel to nearly 130 countries,
- Developed a unique paradigm for the peaceful resolution of conflict that has been successfully applied in several challenging international areas
- 1996 Mohandas K. Gandhi International Peace Award Recipient